Saturday, March 1, 2014

Loss

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, 
And naked I shall return there.
The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the LORD."
-- Job 1:21

At various times in my life, my family and I have suffered loss: death of loved ones, loss of employment, financial setbacks. But we've never experienced the level of loss that Job did during the period of his life documented in scripture.

Loss in any form is painful for us as human beings to deal with and understand; especially when the loss is caused by the unjust actions of others.

Job lost his whole family and all of his wealth in a single day. How devastating!

He could have easily surrendered to his base nature and blamed God for taking away all those he loved and everything he possessed, but, instead, Job recognized a great truth. He entered the world with nothing and would leave the world with nothing, and along the way all that he enjoyed was given to him by God.

And Job praised God for that.

Do I have that kind of faith? I know I desperately need it right now.

"The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the LORD."

No comments:

Post a Comment