Monday, October 6, 2014

Stupid Walmart Moment No. 7542 -- The Legend of Nanna Ellie from Cheshire

I was the third customer in the 20 items or less lane this evening at Walmart.

No big deal. The sharply dressed gentleman in front of me had nine items in his basket. In and out quick. Yesss!

Not so for the first customer in line.

We'll call her Nanna Ellie from Cheshire to protect her identity. Not that I know her, but I just like using that reference.


Anyway, Nanna Ellie from Cheshire brought just a few more than 20 items to the 20 items or less lane. Nanna Ellie had 37 (!) items to ring up. And those were the items I could see to count! She already had three bags in her buggy.

On top of that, Nanna Ellie from Cheshire had coupons. I quit counting those bad boys at 14. 

Irritated was I with my three frozen pizzas, box of bandaids, Neosporin, dish detergent, 8-pack of Irish Spring and 2-pack of Degree deodorant.

Even if you count the Irish Spring and Degree separately, my item count was 16, well within the legal lane limit.

Now Nanna Ellie from Cheshire seemed like a nice lady and the cashier was a saint. She handled Nanna Ellie with grace and a sweet spirit.

I could tell the gentleman in front of me was irritated, but he handled it well, too, taking the time to make a phone call to distract himself.

Yes, I eavesdropped on his coversation, but that's another story for another day. The lady he was talking with spoke very loudly.

Me? I started counting every item that Walmart stashes at the check out line to entice your kids.

I'm a counter.

It's what I do.

What?

In fact, I counted all that stuff three times before Nanna Ellie from Cheshire finished checking out.

I can't be overly irritated with Nanna Ellie, though.

After all, if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't know that there are 24 different kinds of snacks in the 20 items or less lane.

No I didn't buy any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment