Saturday, March 3, 2012

Hey, 45

Okay, so the title of my post is a bad play on the Steely Dan tune "Hey Nineteen;" but I'm not 19, I'm 45 today.

One of the odd things that I enjoy is number association. Let me explain. In the warped jumble of gray matter that is called my brain, I tend to associate numbers that I need to remember (phone numbers, addresses, locker combinations, etc.) with the jersey numbers worn by professional or college athletes.

Yes, I realize that I probably need some therapy to deal with this, but, hey, it works for me.

Anyway, for instance, the last four numbers of my cell phone number are the same numbers worn by former 49ers stars Guy McIntyre and Joe Montana. Now, there's really no reason for me to memorize my cell number because I never call myself, but you never know. But if I do need to call my own cell, I just dial up Guy McIntyre and Joe Montana. No worries.

Yep. Therapy.

So what famous wearers of the number 45 come to my mind on this, my 45th birthday? Here's the short list.
1. Archie Griffin. The former Ohio State running back is the only two-time Heisman Trophy winner so he has to top the list. That's a good start.
2. Michael Jordan. Sure, MJ only wore 45 for one season or so, but he still wore it. I'm still in good company.
3. Bob Gibson. The former St. Louis Cardinals righthander is one of baseball's all-time greats and a Hall of Famer. 'Nuff said.

Umm. Well, I said it was the short list. Just didn't realize it would be so short. Meh.

But it's a good list.

Moving on ....

My 45 years on this big blue marble we call home have been filled with blessings. Good family and good friends top the list of blessings that God has bestowed on me. And I am thankful for everyone that the Lord has allowed to come into my life.

Most of all on this 45th birthday of mine, I am thankful for the precious gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ that God has granted me. My prayer is that all of my family and friends would come to know Jesus as savior.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. (John 3:16-17)

1 comment: