Sunday, February 5, 2012

But I've been wrong before ... a lot (The Sequel)

The last time I watched a super bowl in its entirety was Jan. 26, 2003, when my beloved Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave the Oakland Raiders an old fashioned Port Tampa beatdown, 48-21, in the 37th installment of el gran juego (the big game).

Since then, I've watched el gran juego in fits and starts, witnessing more than less of each contest; although I did fall asleep or head to bed early at least a couple of times. Prior to the Bucs' win in '03, I never missed a down of a super bowl.

So, since my team has its own Lombardi Trophy in the display case at One Buc Place, have I become ambivalent toward what is now America's pastime? I guess I have.

But why? The past eight super bowl games have been pretty good contests, with only three of the eight decided by more than six points. New England, the NFL's version of the Evil Empire (see New York Yankees), has been involved in three downright dandy Super Bowls since 2004. The Pats beat both Carolina in SB 38 and Philadelphia in SB 39 by three points, and lost to the Giants by three points in SB 42.

Insert Random Thought 1 here: This game is brought to you by the number 3 and the letters N, B and C.

It's been amusing over the past week to watch all the football pundits weigh in and make predictions about this game featuring the Pats and the New York Football Giants. There's been a lot of solid acting going on as these guys pretended to really care about the game while enjoying their vacation in Indianapolis.

The really funny thing was that the Peyton Manning-Jim Irsay soap opera was the dominant story during the week. Sorry Brother Eli. On top of that, Tom Brady's supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen has grabbed more air time than her hubby or Brother Eli, and she hasn't said a word.

Insert Random Thought 2 here: Wait, vacation in Indianapolis? That just sounded weird. No offense to Indiana's state capital, but I never pictured it as a vacation spot.

So I was half right, or half wrong, on my picks in the conference championship games. I got the Pats right, but went against my gut feeling and picked the Niners over Los Gigantes.

Insert Random Thought 3 here: Oh well. If I were a baseball player with a .500 average, I'd be a lock for Cooperstown, yes?

Who will win SB 46, Pats or Giants? Do I dare pick against Los Gigantes again? But how can I possibly defy the Evil Empire?

Insert Random Thought 4 here: In this remake, Pats coach Bill Belichick is cast as "The Emperor" and Tom Brady plays "Darth Vader." Cue the heavy, electronic breathing and the dogs barking the "Imperial March" theme, please.

Okay, hang on, let me flip a coin on this one. Arrgh! It stood on end.

All right, here goes. The Giants are on a roll, yeah, but I feel drawn to the dark side and the Pats. So I guess I'm picking New England by, let's say, three points, 20-17.

But I've been wrong before ... a lot.

Insert Random Thoughts 5 and 6 here: Why in the world did I slip into the "Star Wars" schtick? And did you see that number 3 thing pop in there again? Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment