Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Miffed about misses

The older I get, the more I realize how much I've missed along the way. And to be honest, I'm a bit miffed about all those oversights throughout the years, both intentional and unintentional.

Time with family, epic sunsets, time with friends, glorious sunrises, time with God; I've missed out on so much that will never come my way again.

We moved to Zanesville, Ohio, in June of 2011. While we miss all of our friends back in Gallia County, our home for 17 years, the move to Muskingum County has been fruitful in many ways. Of all the positive aspects of the move, the one for which I am most thankful is the opportunity (see second chance) that God has given me to really reconnect with my wife and son.

My employment situation over the past seven months or so has been on again, off again, but that's not a bad thing. That on again, off again routine, if you will, has allowed me to spend a lot of good time with Joel, especially last summer. We hit the park, the mall, the pool and just hung out together.

Since the school year started back in August, we established a new routine which sees us grab some time together in the morning before heading off to school. We also enjoy time together in the afternoon before Jolene comes home from work. Homework is part of that routine, too, but that's another story for another time.

Joel and I go to Cub Scouts together. He enjoys it and I enjoy seeing him having fun and playing with his new buddies that he's come to know through Scouts. We had fun making our pinewood derby car. He won two of the four races in which he competed. Seeing the smile on his face as he watched his car speed down the course made me feel, well, I really don't have the words to describe how I felt. Let's say it just felt good.

Over the past two years or so, I've missed way too many bedtimes at our house. Since we moved to Zanesville, my bedtime participation percentage has skyrocketed. We pray together and trade hugs and kisses, wait for Joel to stall a little more before he finally settles in and hits the sack. What I love most about bedtime is feeling Joel's husky little "monkey hug" around my neck and hearing him say "I love you, Daddy."

Yeah, it just doesn't get any better than that.

Jolene told me recently that I've got my funny back. She's glad that I'm less grumpy and more easy-going than I have been in recent years. My nearly constant complaining has subsided and we once again enjoy that comfortable quiet that has been a hallmark of our marriage for so many of the nearly 21 years we've been husband and wife.

There was a time when I was really concerned about having a career and enjoying success, whatever that is, and I have the gray hair and belly fat to prove it. But I feel like I've entered a new phase of life, sort of a Dave Barry era, in which I find myself forging further ahead into the undiscovered country of fatherhood and husbandhood (?), praying that my kid doesn't grow up to be a serial killer (kidding, of course) and that I don't drive my wife stark, raving mad (serious about that one).

Actually, all joking aside for a moment, my prayer is that God will help me to draw closer to Him so that I can be a better dad and husband, because, goodness knows, I desperately need His help in both areas.

And while I try to follow this path that God has laid out for me in this new country, I'll make sure to stop and enjoy those epic sunsets and glorious sunrises and spend time with family and friends.

1 comment: